Friday 11 May 2012

Chocolate Chip - Oat Cookies


Hello again.

Guess what? 11 DAYS TILL MY BIRTHDAY! :D :D :D

... but yeah, life's pretty good.


After a time full of new recipes that didn't quite work out, I am back with a simple, yet reliable and amazingly good, chocolate chip cookie recipe.
It's so good to bake something that you could do in your sleep. It's so relaxing. Baking in general is a good hobby, but with fiddly things that require unwanted thinking and carefulness (pfft!), sometimes you get really tired and stressed - NOT GOOD!

But with these little dandies, not so. I have been making these since I was about 11, and they have never failed me. It's from Bill Granger - you should know by now my worship of him. They're just like plain chocolate chip cookies, but with oats! That means that they're wholesome! (Just tell yourself that).

*I know that these look like ANZAC biscuits in the photos, but trust me, there are LOTS of chocolate chips in those little things! And the light when I took the photos wasn't too crash-hot, so I brightened them up on the computer, and they turned a sort of sepia colour! Forgive me, peoples of the internet!
Anyway, I kind of like the warm tone of the photos. Sue me why don't you!


I joke, I joke, but really, folks, for a nice afternoon bikkie to be enjoyed with a cup of tea and a bowl full of strawberries, you really can't go past these. They're humble and kind and simple and they love it when you eat them! So do these cookies a favour (or two) and have a munch on them!


Chocolate Chip - Oat Cookies
{Recipe from Bill Granger's "Bill's Food" - I didn't adapt, why take away from perfection?}
Makes 30 (I got away with 33!)

Ingredients:
150g unsalted butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour
I tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 1/3 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, or chopped up milk chocolate

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line 3 large baking trays with baking paper.

Cream butter and sugar in a bowl until fluffy and smooth. Add the egg and vanilla, beat until smooth. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into bowl and mix liightly with a wooden spoon. Fold in oats and chocolate chips.

Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place, evenly spaced, on the baking trays. Flatten the balls slightly with a fork dipped in flour. Bake cookies for 20 min, or until light golden. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 min, then transfer to a wire rack.




P.S. If you're wondering about the photos with a shaft of light through them (hint: above this sentence), I went all experimental and postmodern by seeing what the biscuits would look like in the harsh light. Not sure of the outcome... some might call it weird. I think I'm going to call it... ART.

:)

3 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I LOVE Bill Granger too, what a cutie! I may have to try these out tomorrow, they seem like the ideal procrastination from revision, yum. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mm yep, i'd pick cookies over studying any day!

      Delete
  2. This look wonderful! I think oatmeal cookies are so classic, and one of my all time favorites. This looks like a good one!

    ReplyDelete